“Horizontal Continuous Solid Bowl Decanter and Tricanter Centrifuges are frequently employed within the petrochemical processing industry. They are available in numerous configurations including atmospheric, fume tight, and pressure tight designs.”
Petroleum first appeared on the market in the mid-19th Yet it wasn’t until the end of the 2nd world war that the industry began to grow to the levels of today.
The two most common petrochemical classes are Olefins (including ethylene and propylene) and Aromatics (including benzene, toluene and xylene isomers). The Olefins are the basis for polymers, plastics, resins, fibres, and elastomers. The demand for synthetic products has led to the opportunities for industrial centrifuges to be used in numerous petrochemical process applications.
This has opened the door to numerous applications for industrial centrifuges such as;
- Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC)
- Purified Terephthalic Acid (PTA)
- High Density Poly Ethylene (HDPE)
- Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS)
- Bisphenol A (BPA)
- Paraxylene (PX)
- Adipic Acid
Whilst the Horizontal Continuous Solid and Screen Bowl Decanter centrifuges are the primary centrifuges used in the petrochemical industry, there are applications where other centrifuge types such as the Batch Basket Filtration Centrifuges (Peelers and Inverting Cloth) and Continuous Filtration Centrifuges (Pushers and Screen Scrolls) are successfully employed.
The Horizontal Decanter Centrifuge designs can offer the following key features;
- 2 phase liquid/solid separation
- Continuous processing of feed material
- High capacity throughputs
- Operate at moderate speeds and G force levels
- Can produce low residual moisture content for discharge solids
- Can produce high purity centrate
- Capable of high solids recovery
The Horizontal Tricanter Centrifuge designs can offer all the above plus the following additional key features;
- 3 phase liquid/liquid/solid separation
- High purity light phase liquor (generally oil)
- High purity heavy phase liquor (generally water)
- External liquor phase separation adjustment
With continuous feed processing rates of over 100T/hr of dry solid with 99.9% recovery efficiencies, centrifuges such as the Continuous Decanter Centrifuges will always hold the potential to be employed in petrochemical processing facilities.